Quick facts about aging Iowans (data source U.S. Census Bureau unless otherwise noted):
- In 2010, 26 of Iowa's 99 counties had a population of 20% or more of age 65 and older. In 2040, that number is projected to be 83.
- 51,646 - The number of people age 65 and over in Polk County, making it the largest population of this age group in any county in 2013.
- Over a quarter of Iowans age 65 and over in 2013 lived in Polk, Linn, Scott, Black Hawk, Dubuque, Pottawattamie, Woodbury, and Johnson Counties.
- 83,667 - The number of Iowans age 65 and older in 2013 who were in the labor force.
- Percentage of Iowans age 65 and older who were citizens and registered to vote in the 2014 election, the highest rate of any age group, is 72.1%.
- The number of 2013 social security beneficiaries aged 65 or older in Iowa is 453,183.
To see the complete fact list, click 2015-01-25 older2015_IA.pdf.